Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://vb.ourunraveled.com/articles...rum-ettiquette
See more
See less

Welcome to Shave 'Em to Save 'Em (SE2)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all! This is my first post ever. I love the SE2SE program and am very active on the FB page. Here are my first five breeds. I especially loved the Cotswold. I’m working on some Tunis, and Dorset Horn will be the next. I’ve already spun a bunch of non-qualifying Horned Dorset and will combine some of them for a finished project, but that’s down the road a bit. I have several others waiting for processing. No boredom here, for sure! Glad to be among friends here.

Comment

• Carlota
      Carlota commented
      Editing a comment
      Well hello there, Kniterested! Welcome to the SE2SE etc. fun - not like you aren't already off the the races - your lineup is so pretty and I think they all look nice together, at least for their picture I am looking forward to getting some of that Cotswold.

• LeoLady
      LeoLady commented
      Editing a comment
      Welcome Kinterested!! I think I've seen your posts on FB I'm Linda G there.

• JenC
      JenC commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow!!!!! Super nice work!

Is anyone else like me, getting butterflies because 4 ounces of something is coming in the mail?????

Comment

• LeoLady
      LeoLady commented
      Editing a comment
      It's like Christmas every month.

• JenC
      JenC commented
      Editing a comment
      hahahaa... I always get excited like a little kid. I got a thank you card from my grandson today and when I saw the small envelope in my mailbox, I was all excited for "real mail." Even fiber takes second place to grandson mail :-)

• Carlota
      Carlota commented
      Editing a comment
      JenC That is so special!

Gulf Coast Native finished. It was a dream to spin. Minimum Vm in it and very little neps. Spun up soft and springy and, for some odd reason, even though I spun almost the same weight on both GCN and Florida Cracker, I ended up with an extra ball. Click image for larger version

Name:	se2seor.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	16006

Comment

I'm wondering why o why did I choose short staple whatever this is.... this is the kind of work day I had... too much to do, now I'm brain dead. I know Belle Fourche ...belle marche? Now all I can think is Joann March of Little Women. I carded a bit of ... what is this??? OH! Southdown!!! lol. As far as the quality of the fiber.... it's a little neppy, and there's some vm but what is there is easily removed and I am someone who doesn't have a problem with something being neppy to a degree if I don't already have a goal. I can spin a neppy fiber and then decided what it might be suited for. Since I already decided that my SE2 fibers are going to go into a patch throw, it does not matter a whit that it is neppy. What matters is that I'm not a seasoned enough spinner to do this justice. I decided to use my lightest weight spindle, and I made a rolag. If I spin enough to keep it from drifting, it has too much twist. If I park it and let the twist travel, it's funny because there is a decided "I'm not going to twist anymore" point, but at that point it varies from twisted to uh-oh this might drift. I'm going to keep at it, hope that when I ply it might work itself out into something useable. If not...it will be a corner patch of the throw so it can twist itself into a knot if it wants to.

I'm traveling for work the remainder of the week. Have a great time spinning fiber friends! I think I'll spend my time waiting for planes shopping for more fiber!

Comment

• Carlota
      Carlota commented
      Editing a comment
      I know that feeling. I have had some totally neppy spins lately and I was at least comforted to find out that it is not always the spinner. When I carded the Southdown rolags, the neps were fewer when I carded on 120 tip, and more slowly. But still, they can be part of its nature. And mine had tons of little loose pills that were tiny short cuts made by dull shears, so not my fault. I will decide later what the yarn should be used for, and maybe a pattern with texture, or even a woven piece, will make the neps an interesting feature. I spun my Southdown supported, so the short fibers where not an issue since they did not have to hold any weight. But I recently got an 18-gram Turkish and it does better for short fibers when I want to spin suspended. Safe travels!

Hi Yarnyentrechat ! How do you like the Black Welsh Mountain so far? I haven't gotten any of that yet.

Comment

• Yarnyentrechat
      Yarnyentrechat commented
      Editing a comment
      It's going really well. It's a shorter fiber, so it needs quite a bit of twist, but I got lamb so it's pretty soft and SUPER black!

• Carlota
      Carlota commented
      Editing a comment
      Yarnyentrechat good to hear that; I do love that dark color!
      Last edited by Carlota; 08-11-2019, 01:47 PM.

When I received my Florida Cracker roving, it came in a gallon zip lock bag with the name of the breed on the front of the bag. Fortunately, I kept the bag and, when I was done just slipped the finished yarn into the bag. I then, worked on the Gulf Coast Native which had not come in any bag but carefully wrapped in paper. I, at that point had begun to wonder how I was going to keep each breed's yarn so that I would know what was what. Looking at the Florida Cracker bag I had an aha moment. (Yeah, sometimes I'm a bit slow) I got out a gallon zip lock bag, printed Gulf Coast Native on the front of it and popped the balls of yarn into it. Now I'm leaving a bit of an opening in the top of each bag so the wool can breathe but I think zip lock bags are the best invention for crafters since circular needles. :-)

Comment

LeoLady I so agree with your “best invention.” My third item on that list is shipping tags. I got a box of 1,000 on Amazon for a song. They’re about 2-1/2 x 4-3/4 and Incan write a novel on them. PS - I’m a tad slow on the light bulb moments too 😂

Comment

Some of you asked to see the unicorn and the egg. Here it is, size is about 4-5" from top of head to bottom and, yes, he fits inside the egg, just barely. Click image for larger version

Name:	Unicorn 2.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	17770

Comment

Good morning all! Starting on third project today. Santa Cruz roving. Contains VM but I was warned before I took it. Pictures a bit later. On First cup of coffee. Not a good idea for me to try to take pictures before, at least second cup.

Comment

• LeoLady
            LeoLady commented
            Editing a comment
            Everything I've heard about Karakul is that it's good for rugs and that type of thing. Seems to be really sturdy and wears well.

• JenC
            JenC commented
            Editing a comment
            Im really following your experience with SE2. My first purchase hasn’t been the best. I’m not experienced enough as a spinner to be able to handle short staple, The Southdown that I purchased from Belle Fourche is a little too short staple and neppy for me to deal. Not that I’m regretting the purchase at all, I just need to get more skills before I have a frustration-free adventure. I have to also say that I’m damned lucky if I can squeeze in 15 minutes of spinning a day...so I’m needing things that are an easier spin.keep spinning LeoLady! You are an inspiration and the OurUnraveled encyclopedia of SE2!

• LeoLady
            LeoLady commented
            Editing a comment
            JenC try the medium length staple. See if Doves Roost has any batt or roving left. Her processing is stellar and I was easily able to do a modified long draw. It spun into lovely yarn very very quickly. I'd try the longer staple to begin with. I think I'm having less problem because, as I said someplace before, I learned to spin with dog hair (short staple, slick and, sometimes, hard to control) so spinning most of this wool has been a walk in the park because, at least, it sticks together when I draft. LOL

Let's see what you're working on. I got out my Santa Cruz and started on it. The roving is really nice. Has some VM but I was warned that it would. Not bad to pick out but I have to pay attention. Took 3 pictures. Picture of the roving, one of the nepiness (new word, Webster LOL) and what it's looking like on the wheel. It seems to want to spin thick thin but I'm trying to insist that it spin sport weight to match the rest of the yarns. Click image for larger version

Name:	SE21.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	18914Click image for larger version

Name:	SE22.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	18915Click image for larger version

Name:	SE23.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	18916

Comment

• Bettymo
            Bettymo commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice & white!

• Carlota
            Carlota commented
            Editing a comment
            I like all your notes and it reminds me to make more notations early on during this study while I remember. In my limited experience I agree that the neppiest yarns were also springy; when you pluck them in carding, they recoil into little pills. And if already carded there isn't much that I can do about it other than keep stopping to pick them out or let them add to the character of the yarn. I was surprised to see that your Santa Cruz is white - my fleece is chocolate brown and very very springy, so stretchy it is almost unbelievable. Lots of neps in my little sample.

• LeoLady
            LeoLady commented
            Editing a comment
            Carlota thanks. it's a habit I picked up when I was a bookkeeper. Always keep a paper trail. So now I do it with new stuff. The neps will add character to the finished yarn and I figured out that if I tried to pull all the neps, I was going to have to get more of each wool. I'm letting it be what it wants to be. Oh, and I didn't know that the Santa Cruz came in brown.

So I purchased some Cotswold and some Jacob. The Jacob is a charcoal grey and white. Now I'm waiting impatiently at the mailbox. LOL

Comment

• Carlota
            Carlota commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm also laughing because the day it was expected, I think I checked the mail 4 times. When it was declared "Delivered," I inquired of 3 different neighbors and wrote a note to the postal worker and attached it to the mailbox. It was like I had a lost pet or something.

• LeoLady
            LeoLady commented
            Editing a comment
            Carlota see? I understand that. LOL Fiber arts are sooo addictive. I started out knitting and doing embroidery when I was about 10. Didn't have the patience for knitting so I dropped that but the embroidery in some for or another, stayed with me. Then, the Christmas after I got married, my MIL gave me a fishermen's net vest, yeah, I'm that old, and I was fascinated. She taught me to crochet that afternoon and I was hooked (pun intended) I went back to knitting about 5 years ago and have really enjoyed it this time around. The spinning came as a result of owning dogs with spinnable fur.

• Carlota
            Carlota commented
            Editing a comment
            Those little seeds planted early on . . .
        Working...
        X